Own a bit of history with this historic home built in 1852 on 4+ acres located out in the country but still close to everything. Home features much of the original woodwork including hand hewn beams in the basement. Master suit is in addition (built in the 1970’s) on the main level with 2 bedrooms upstairs. Home also has 3 full baths. Large living room with fresh paint and new carpeting. Upstairs 2 bedrooms with new carpeting and a just remodeled full bath. Outside you have large deck overlooking the small pond and wooded area behind the home. Cosmetics needed but the potential is unlimited with such a great location. Centrally located between Avon (Avon Schools), Danville, and not far from Brownsburg and Pittsboro. If you are looking to move out of town, be sure and check this one out.
A Little Historical Perspective
29 Years before this house was built, Hendricks County was established.
The eighth General Assembly of the new state of Indiana met at its then-capital town, Corydon, in December 1823, and created three counties before the close of the session, among them being Hendricks, the state’s fifty-first county. The bill creating Hendricks County was introduced in the Senate on 9 December and was signed on 20 December by Indiana Governor William Hendricks, in whose honor the new county was named.
Prior to the New Purchase treaty, the territory of Hendricks County had been occupied by the Dakota tribe, although there were no significant native villages within its future borders. The treaty authorized the territory to be surveyed by the federal government, with land being available for settlement thereafter. This survey work began in the Hendricks County area in 1819, and settlers began moving in as soon thereafter (the first in future Hendricks County in Spring 1820) as land filing was authorized, such that by 1823 there were sufficient inhabitants to justify forming a county. Designated commissioners met in July 1824, and on 12 July selected Danville as its county seat. The town plat was filed for record in October 1824; a court house was erected and in operation there by 1826.
30 years before this home was built: the first settlement in Washington township.
Made in the northeast corner, near the site of Shiloh church, by Robert Wilson, Gideon Wilson and Elisha Kise in the year 1822.
From the book: HISTORY OF Hendricks County INDIANA HER PEOPLE, INDUSTRIES AND INSTITUTIONS HON. JOHN V. HADLEY EDITOR-IN-CHIEF 1914
When Electricity was finally available, 76 years after this house was built.
The formal construction of rural electric lines began the summer of 1937. On January 1, 1938, the first 122 miles of line was energized. Approximately 400 members received power to their homes and farms for the first time. The name Hendricks County Rural Electric Membership Corporation (REMC) was adopted, as the cooperative slowly grew.
From the Hendricks Power Website
This house is one of only 4 homes left in Washington Township 1852 or older
This house is one of only 65 homes left in Hendricks County 1852 or older
The 1850 census had the population of Indiana a just under 1 million
The US Consisted of just 30 States and several territories
Top Stories in 1852: The year this house was built.
¨ The Studebaker Brothers Wagon Company, precursor of the automobile manufacturer, is established.
¨ The first American experimental steam fire engine is tested.
¨ Franklin Pierce elected as the 14th president of U.S.
¨ President Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte proclaims a new constitution for the French Second Republic.
¨ Henry Wells and William Fargo created Wells Fargo & Company
¨ Smith & Wesson is founded as a firearms manufacturer in the United States.
¨ Uncle Sam cartoon figure made its debut in the New York Lantern weekly
¨ Henri Giffard, a French engineer, makes 1st dirigible flight.
¨ Elisha Otis introduced the safety elevator.
Directions: West on 10th St / CR 100N to CR 425E. North to home on the left (west) side. No mailbox or address, look for realtor signs.