Home » Derrick Team Blog Posts » How Brownsburg Indiana Got It’s Name

How Brownsburg Indiana Got It’s Name

On August 25th, 1835 a man by the name of William Harris recorded a plat of land under the name of Harrisburgh. This land had been purchased by him and other family members during the early 1830’s. At the time he recorded the plat in Danville, he mostly owned the land to the north of what is now SR 136 and Joshua Harris owned the land to the south side extending west of White Lick Creek.

As William seemed to be determined to develop the area, Joshua sold a portion to William on September 17, 1836 making William the sole owner of the area around what is now SR 136 and Green St. William then divided the area into lots to establish the town center at this point to be known as Harrisburgh. When the first post office was to be setup in the new town, it was determined there was already a town named Harrisburgh in Indiana (that no longer exists) so the town name was changed to Brownsburgh in honor of James B. Brown, the original settler of the area.

In 1848 the town was incorporated and a chairman and 5 trustees were elected to oversee town affairs. Due to reasons not clear this status was lost afterwards until 1893 and the county commissioners revived the status but the “h” was dropped from the name.

So if not for a town that no longer exists, we would be cheering on the Harrisburgh Bulldogs.

This information from a great book, “The Village of Brownsburg” by Peg Kennedy and Frankie Konovsek.

Leave a Reply